Package: 25mg (30 pills)
Substance: Aldactone (Spironolactone)
Aldactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic, a competitive antagonist of aldosterone and other mineralocorticoids.
Pharmacologic effect of Aldactone
In the distal sections of the nephron, Aldactone (Spironolactone) inhibits the retention of sodium and water with aldosterone and suppresses the potassium-releasing effect of aldosterone, reduces the synthesis of permeases in the aldosterone-dependent region of the collecting tubules and distal tubules. By binding to aldosterone receptors, increases the excretion of sodium, chlorine and water ions in the urine, reduces the excretion of potassium and urea ions, reduces the acidity of urine.
Strengthening diuresis causes a hypotensive effect, which is unstable.
The maximum effect is observed 7 hours after taking the capsules inside and lasting at least 24 hours.
Diuretic effect is manifested on the 2nd-5th day of treatment.
Indications of Aldactone
- essential hypertension (as part of combination therapy);
- edematous syndrome with chronic heart failure (can be used in the form of monotherapy and in combination with standard therapy);
- conditions in which secondary hyperaldosteronism can be detected, including cirrhosis accompanied by ascites and / or edema, nephrotic syndrome and other conditions accompanied by edema;
- hypokalemia / hypomagnesemia (as an aid for its prevention during treatment with diuretics and when other methods of correction of the potassium level can not be used);
- primary hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome) – for a short preoperative course of treatment;
- to establish the diagnosis of primary hyperaldosteronism.
In essential hypertension, the daily dose for adults is usually 50-100 mg once and can be increased to 200 mg, while increasing the dose should be gradual, 1 every 2 weeks. To achieve an adequate response to therapy, the drug should be taken at least 2 weeks. If necessary, adjust the dose.
With idiopathic hyperaldosteronism, the drug is prescribed in a dose of 100-400 mg / day.
With expressed hyperaldosteronism and hypokalemia, the daily dose is 300 mg (maximum 400 mg) for 2-3 doses, with the improvement of the condition, the dose is gradually reduced to 25 mg / day.
With hypokalemia and / or hypomagnesemia caused by diuretic therapy, Veroshpiron is prescribed at a dose of 25-100 mg / day, once or in several doses. The maximum daily dose is 400 mg if oral potassium preparations or other methods of replenishing its deficiency are ineffective.
When diagnosing and treating primary hyperaldosteronism as a diagnostic tool in a short diagnostic test, Veroshpiron is prescribed for 4 days at 400 mg / day, distributing the daily dose for several doses per day. With an increase in the concentration of potassium in the blood at the time of taking the drug and lowering it after cancellation it can be assumed that there is a primary hyperaldosteronism. With a long diagnostic test, the drug is administered at the same dose for 3-4 weeks. When the correction of hypokalemia and arterial hypertension is achieved, it is possible to assume the presence of primary hyperaldosteronism.