Category: Anti Estrogens
Package: 0.5mg (4 pills)
Substance: Cabergoline (Cabaser)
Manufacturer: Sun Pharma
Pharmacological effect Dostinex
The active substance of Dostinex is cabergoline, a dopaminergic agent, a derivative of ergoline. Has a long and pronounced effect of reducing prolactin. Acts due to blockage of prolactin secretion as a result of direct stimulation in lactotrophic cells of pituitary D2-dopamine receptors. When high doses are used, there is also a central stimulating dopaminergic effect on D2 receptors. This property differs from other prolactin lowering agents.
Only 3 hours after taking Cabergoline (Cabaser) in the blood, there is a decrease in the level of prolactin, which persists for 7 to 28 days in healthy people and patients with high levels of prolactin. The effect when used in the postpartum lactation period lasts up to 2-3 weeks. The digestive tract is absorbed quickly. The maximum plasma concentration is reached within 0.5-4 hours after the internal reception of the preparation. The half-life was assessed by the elimination rate of cabergoline in urine – it was 63-68 hours in healthy individuals, 79-115 hours in patients with hyperprolactinemia. Due to the significant half-life of cabergoline, equilibrium concentrations of the drug are reached after 28 days. About 41 to 42% of cabergoline binds to plasma proteins.
Indications for use Dostinex
• In women – treatment of hyperprolactinemia, which is manifested by infertility, a violation of the menstrual cycle (oligomenorrhea, amenorrhea, anovulatory menstrual cycles), galactorrhea;
• in men – treatment of hyperprolactinemia, which is manifested by a decrease in libido or impotence;
• adenoma secreting prolactin from the pituitary gland (micro- or macro-prolactinoma);
• Syndrome of an empty Turkish saddle;
• suppress physiological lactation after delivery if the woman does not want or can not breastfeed, or if there are contraindications to the child’s or mother’s diet;
• prevent breastfeeding after childbirth in case of abortion or stillbirth.
Usually, the drug is well tolerated. If Dostinex is prescribed to prevent or eliminate breastfeeding, dizziness, hypotension, insomnia, headache, nausea, and abdominal pain are common. These signs are weakly expressed and pass quickly. If the drug is used to treat hyperprolactinemia, dizziness, headache, nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, gastritis, constipation, general weakness, breast tenderness, depression, flushing, hypotension, paresthesia are possible. These signs are weak or moderately expressed and pass quickly. The most common side effects occur within the first 14 days after taking Dostinex.
The adverse effects of Cabergoline (Cabaser) are additive, so when developing strong effects, it is recommended to first reduce the dosage and then try to increase it again if necessary (0.25 mg per day). week for 2 weeks). If the side effects are serious, requiring withdrawal, the symptoms disappear after 1-2 days.